Friday, July 17, 2009

The Only Starbucks Fan in America


Many people may consider Starbucks an evil corporation, but as someone who needs to keep her BFL (Blood Frappacino level) high at all times, I have been distraught over the company's recent troubles. While I do feel the pain of urban Mom and Pop coffee shops, for those of us who get most of our coffee off a highway exit or in the local mall, just the thought of Pumpkin Spice puts a smile on our faces.

Suburban Starbucks
Aren't hurting the little guy!

Only McDonald's.


So I wish them well with their latest marketing strategy, which involves redesigning their stores so that they could be mistaken for non-corporate entities, with names like 15th Avenue Coffee and Tea Shop. Some of these new shops will serve beer and wine.

Keep my 'Bucks the same!
I might wander to Dunkin'

By mistake! So sad.

Unlike me, many are enraged about this admittedly sneaky tactic. These people don't want to be tricked into going to Starbucks when they think they're getting some really cool indie hipster coffee, despite the obvious deliciousness of The Man's frothy drinks.

In particular, one local business owner in Seattle claims that the redesigned Starbucks are "stealing her ambiance," though it seems unlikely she would compete with Starbucks for business.

Why so serious?
Lattes VS pint glasses?
Your place is a pub.

Best of luck, Starbucks!
Disguising my local branch?
Please give a heads up!

One more suggestion:
Recycling for cups in shops!
A greener brew source.

6 comments:

  1. I love Starbucks and wouldn't want it to change. I also must stabilize my BFL daily. But I have to admit I also like the iced coffee from McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've found a good way of doing this. The haikus, since it's such a cryptic form does need some explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate starbucks coffee (yuck). Dunkin, Panera, and Wegmans serve way better coffee. I wish Panera had a drive-thru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I take it then that you would be very upset to find out that you were ordering from a Starbucks in disguise! You should write about why this is wrong on your blog, even if I'm not bothered by it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, What a great way to talk about this news story! I love the haikus.

    For some reason, this reminds me of when Stephen King started writing under a pen name allegedly so he could find out whether people bought his books for the content or for his name. I wonder if Starbucks will introduce new brews in these faux Mom and Pop shops. Yummy!

    (P.S. I love Starbucks but tend to get the jitters when I drink it. I would love them to intro a less strong brew!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Trina. This format is great! I am grateful to get my daily news in short, witty bits (haiku) with longer explanations if I'm not feeling so ADD. The picture is perfect, too. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete