Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chris Brown Needs a New Day Job

Chris Brown issued a public apology today for assaulting fellow pop singer and girlfriend Rihanna. Brown, poised to assume the King of Pop mantle prior to the incident, deserves kudos for owning up to his mistakes, but now he needs to retreat from the media and pop music. Not because he's a reprehensible person (which none of us knows him well enough to say whether he is or isn't), but because of his particular line of work: playing heart throb to legions of middle school girls.

Love songs sound twisted
Coming from an abuser!
Tween girls influenced.

While his on-air apology may help other young men in his position seek help and change their behavior, Brown's fan base is primarily young girls and for him to court them again is in very poor taste. Allowing Brown to promote a new album on television or in the press implies that all is forgiven, and given how difficult it already is for many teenage girls to disentangle themselves from abusive boyfriends, this vulnerable demographic doesn't need the mixed message.

Chris Brown's apology is the best thing he could have done to stop other young men from making his mistakes. His statement should be the last we hear from him.


8 comments:

  1. Clearly he's an idiot in need of some counseling. However, I don't think that fact will stop him from releasing/promoting/touring another album. It's his profession, and he's going to try to make a living. Whether it's smart or right is immaterial; he's going to do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the role models of yesteryear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who this guy is, and I'm not familiar with what he did, but I hope he means what he says! I think whoever wrote his speech (either him or his publicist) did a nice job, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that if Chris Brown had practically any other occupation, or even if he were a singer who was mainly popular with adults, I wouldn't feel this way. It's that I've seen his face plastered on the notebooks of 6th graders that gives me the creeps about him coming back into music after beating up Rihanna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although his apology seemed genuine, I am always skeptical of this public type of display by famous people. Bottom line-There is never any excuse for a man to hit a woman. It is reprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trina-- like Ike Turner and Joe Jackson?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I think Ike Turner did some very bad things, at least he didn't market himself as a heart throb for 12 year old girls! That's what gets me about Chris Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob --
    Where on earth was I during the 70s? Too busy avoiding pop culture, I guess. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that music stars were ever very good role models. Consider Mozart.

    ReplyDelete